Please choose one of the following orchestral excerpts and transcribe at least the melody—but more if you can.|
- On a sheet of blank staff paper, write “This is my own work.” and sign it. Note the number of the example you transcribed.
- Begin with a treble clef and the key signature. (I have listed the key of each excerpt.)
- Listen to the excerpt and choose an appropriate time signature. There is more than one right answer. (There is also more than one wrong answer.)
- Sing tonic. Determine the first pitch of the melody.
- Transcribe the melody onto your treble staff. Label it with the instruments and/or voices that are performing the melody.
- If you can, add a bass clef and transcribe some or all of the bass line. Once again, try to identify who is performing.
- Transcribe as much as possible without an instrument. Check your work with an instrument.
- Add more if you can—perhaps inner parts that stand out. The timpani in 1. is straightforward. (You might add another bass clef.)
- Finally, add articulations, dynamics, and a metronome marking. (You can check with a metronome.)